Friday, October 24, 2008

SEAM Night of Champions

Last night I was able to meet and talk to Trot Nixon at the SEAM Night of Champions dinner. Nixon as well as others were guest speakers at the event. Before the night started there was a silent auction to help benifit SEAM, as well as a autograph/book signing session with Trot and his wife. His wife helped co-write a children's book, The Spirit of Baseball, and both were extremely nice people.




To start, I was slightly nervous meeting a major leaguer and a former member of the Red Sox, who was sporting his '04 World Series ring on his hand. I think I was trying to say something to the degree of 'nice to meet you', but what came out was 'man, that ring's huge.' As I stood realizing what I said and feeling like an idiot, Trot smiled and said 'yeah, it's pretty big' as he was taking it off. 'Wanna hold it?' Huh? You're gonna let me hold a world championship ring?

As many of you have seen, the Rocky Mount Baseball team's State Championship rings are rather large, but I felt like mine was nothing comparing it to Trot's, which was easily double the size.


To throw in, I walked away from the silent auction with two Jerry Narron signed player cards, and a Narron manager picture for $15. Not bad. Throw in the 3 baseballs and 3 cards signed by Trot, and that's a pretty good night.

No comments: