Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Davis’ Golden Opportunity Awaits

- this is the second story of the three part series on Braves wrestler J.J Davis -

-----------


By Nick Phillips

Asst Sports Editor
April 23, 2009

he time has come for UNC-P senior J.J Davis to travel and compete with the best wrestlers in the country. As many students are busy preparing for final exams and getting ready for the summer, Davis is set to take off on the first step in his Olympic goals on April 24.

Davis, who placed 6th at the Division II National Championships as a junior last spring, used his red-shirt option this season, allowing him to train and prepare for the Olympics without having to worry about college wrestling at the same time.

Davis, whose Olympic journey first became known throughout the campus after the March 12 edition of The Pine Needle, says he has received tremendous support from everyone, faculty and students alike, all across the university.

“Ever since the story came out, I’ve always gotten questions about if I was trying to make the Olympic team. It’s been great, I’ve gotten a lot of support from the faculty and the coaching staff has been there every step of the way.”

Many may wonder how Davis is going to juggle studying for final exams while traveling and focusing on his opponents.

“The faculty has been great helping me get certain things I need to get turned in earlier, so I don’t miss stuff.

This is something that I was planning for, so me going to class and keeping my grades up was all part of it. Coach defiantly wouldn’t let me go off and miss days of class if I didn’t have the grades to.”

Davis is set to embark on the University National tournament, the first of many steps. If he places there, he will move onto the University World trials, all giving him exposure and recognition, with the ultimate goal of receiving an invitation to the Olympic Training Center.

Braves head wrestling coach Jamie Gibbs expressed the entire staff’s opinion of Davis when he called the wrestler a “second coach” on the practice mat.

“J.J has bought into the system. He’s resisted the system, very much, early on in his career, and now he’s just like having another coach.

“Overall, his constant improvement and his commitment to constantly keep improving, and that he never really hangs his head and gets discouraged with things” said Gibbs on his first thoughts when thinking of Davis and his work ethic during his time at UNC-P.

Gibbs said he and his staff, along with Davis’ fellow teammates, have all helped push and train Davis in the practice room, noting that Davis knows his goals and is now on “cruise-control” as the tournament approached.

Upon hearing his coach’s words, Davis said “I hope I’m going to be able to be on cruise control, but most likely, I’m going to be pedal to the medal, going as hard as this little car can go. If I can be on cruise-control and make my way to the finals, so be it. But I’m going to do whatever it takes to win.”

Since he was red-shirting this season on the collegiate level, Davis was unable to get many matches in, so while trying to do well and place, he will also be using this time and tournament to “gain momentum towards next year, my senior year.”

The musician in Davis has already given his senior wrestling campaign with the Braves a title – Vin Vini Vinci.

“Just like Caesar said, ‘I came, I saw, I conquered,’ and that’s how I want to start off my year. And this tournament starts everything."

In the earlier March 12 edition, Davis was contemplating which weight division to compete in. With the tournament rapidly approaching, Davis has pretty much locked down his Greco weight at 174 pounds, and “if the facilities and my weight permit, I will go 174 in the Freestyle as well. If not, I will go 185 for Freestyle” said Davis.

Davis said he won’t be able to make his final decision until he sees the facilities and can decide if the equipment and available amenities are in place for him to stay the same weight for both styles.

Regardless of his placement and outcome, Davis will be back on campus next fall as a part of the Braves program, as he quickly adds to his sights the goal of a National Championship. After his surprising 6th place finish last season, the All-American has his eyes towards winning the D-II Championship.

“All-Americans at the D-II level, people with those types of credentials are a dime a dozen,” said Gibbs, “but he’s got the ability to wrestle at that level…and become UNC-P’s first National Champ.”

“We want the best for him. He deserves the best; he’s a hard working kid who has bought into the system here. We wish him luck” said Gibbs.

As Davis prepares for his final days before embarking on the next chapter in his college career, he will have the entire university at his back, on his side rooting for him. His fan base will not falter or be effected by his placement, as he has built up a following here at UNC-P - students, faculty, and coaches – that have all expressed their support towards another student reaching for his dreams.

Even if it is a chance at Olympic gold.

No comments: