Monday, October 12, 2009

Gryphons in Schock?

I have to admit, the further I get from high school, well, the further I get from high school. I am almost ashamed to admit that I have only been to one Rocky Mount Gryphon football game this year and Conference play has already started. Where does the time go? I've been home one weekend since school started & mom and pop have been down here to Pembroke three times? That's a switch. We've had a couple of tailgate sessions & watched the Braves win football games together, but I haven't made it to watch the ol' ball team.

Last year, as a freshman, I really wanted to come home to see the Gryphons play football. I didn't make it every week, but I made sure to come back to see the big games. This year has been different. Pops and I talked before the season started & we pretty much agreed that with the young offensive line and defense, the Gryphs would be. . .right about where they are now. At least win-loss wise, anyway. I'm not sure why everyone I talk to is in shock at the record.

I will back home this coming weekend and I'm really looking forward to getting out to the game Friday night. And I feel good about the remaining schedule for the Gryphs.

Let me go out on a limb here, for all you folks that are down on the Football Gryphons. The start of the season was not what we have been used to for the past several years. The Gryphs have not looked like a State Championship Contender most of the time. But rest assured, the team is getting better. The guys are growing up before your eyes. And just like children, before you know it, they're going to do things that amaze you.

The Gryphons are undefeated in conference play. Who is going to stand in their way from winning a championship? Northern? Southern? Some team from Wilson County? Come on. These are the Gryphons. These guys are not used to losing. They are used to working hard and stepping up to the challenge. Did you see what they did to those pesky Bulldogs last Friday? Expect more of the same.

Believe me. Believe them. You watch.

Dad says so.

Go ahead, Gryphons, Schock everybody.

No comments: